Ixion Models NSWGR 32 Class 4-6-0 Steam Locomotive
The C32 class were a class of steam locomotives built for the New South Wales Government Railways of Australia with the first batch of 50 locomotives delivered between February 1892 and July 1893.by Beyer, Peacock and Company. They were introduced as the "P" Class. Further orders for the 32 Class saw a total of 191 of them being built by several builders including Beyer, Peacock and Company (106), Baldwin Locomotive Works (20), Clyde Engineering (45) and Eveleigh Railway Workshops (20) with the last locomotive being delivered in April 1911. The initial 50 were built with six wheel tenders, the remainder with eight wheel bogie tenders. Many of the originals were later equipped with bogie tenders, however a number of the class kept the shorter tenders to enable them to be turned on the 50-foot (15.24 m) turntables at certain locations as the bogie tenders were too long.
The 32 Class became the universal workhorse of the NSW railways. They worked express passenger and local passenger services including Newcastle Flyers, Caves Express and the South Coast Daylight Express. They also worked goods and branch line mixed trains across virtually the entire NSW railways.
The first of the 32 class to be withdrawn was 3264 following an accident at Otford in July 1956. Following the arrival of the 48 class diesels from 1959 withdrawals began. On 24 July 1971 the last regularly steam-hauled passenger train in New South Wales was hauled by 3346 from Newcastle to Singleton. In December 1971 3229 (a shunting locomotive at Goulburn Depot) was the last of its class to be withdrawn. Of the 191 locomotives only 4 have been preserved 3203, 3214, 3237, 3265. Currently 3237 and 3265 are still operational.
Ixion Model Railways released the NSWGR 32 Class Low Frame Steam Locomotive in June 2016. Two tender variations are available, six-wheel and the longer bogie tender. The model is DCC and sound ready - NMRA compliant DCC socket in the tender, and provision for a 20mm round speaker in the tender. The model has a working headlight hidden behind a white lense cover and in reverse has white markers on the rear of the tender. No rear red markers are installed.
installation we have chosen the ESU LokSound Range decoders, such as the
LokSound V4.0 (Sound) and for those not interested in sound the LokPilot
V4.0 (No Sound). We have created a nice 32 Class Sound Project with recordings
from 3265 taken in 2015.
New Headlight Operation
We have also modified the headlight operation to resemble prototypical operation.
In the past you would have turned off the sound (Pressing F8) and all the sounds including the generator would stop playing but your headlight would remain on and you would have to turn it off separately. Well no more...
Press the headlight button (F0) to turn on the generator. The headlight won't turn on until enough power has been generated to turn the light on dimmed. While the generator is on the headlight stays on. If you press F8 to shut down and turn the loco sound off which will include the generator then the headlight will also turn off even if you haven't turned the headlight off itself using the headlight button.
Also added are:
· Automatic High Beam Headlight Function when the locomotive begins to drive. Bring the loco to a stop and the headlight will return to dim.
· Low Beam front headlight when reversing is also available.
Here at DCC Solutions we offer a light modification for the rear markers on the tender.
Optional light modification available: Replace the rear white markers on the tender to dual red/white LEDs to add red markers. This allows light engine running with the front headlight on and rear red markers. White markers for running in reverse.
Not a fan of the white lens on the front headlight, then esquire about having it replaced with a clear lens.
DCC Solutions Custom 32 Class Sound Project contains sounds from the
The DCC Solutions Custom 32 Class Sound Project contains sounds from the operational 3265.
The NSWGR 32 Class Custom Sound Project includes:
· Recorded Sounds from 3265.
· Cold Boiler Start Up Sequence including boiler water fill, fire up sequence, boiler pressure reached before moving off.
· Optional Quick Hot Start Up Sequence - Straight to waiting for boiler pressure to be reach before moving off.
· Short Blast and Playable Whistle
· C32 Compressor
· Playable stationary boiler/steam sounds including random sounds.
· Random Drive Sounds including track squeal, compressor, injectors, coal shoveling and more.
· Individual Coupling and Release Options depending on the locomotive's direction.
· Water filling tender sounds.
· Generator controlled Headlight and marker lights. The headlight is controlled by the generator sound rather than the light turning on the generator.
· When the loco stops after braking the compressor cuts in.
· Guard's Whistle
· High Beam Headlight Function when the locomotive begins to drive and returning to a dim state at stop.
· Optional low beam front headlight when reversing
· Optional Automatic 3 blast whistle when reversing.
· Motor and drive settings including sound volumes tuned to specifically suit the model including wheel rotation chuff sync.
· Master sound volume can be adjusted by the user allowing you to go louder or softer to suit personal requirements.
· A full list of 28 sound and function buttons that can be remapped to suit your own personal requirements.
Standard DCC Installation: Non sound decoder
Basic Sound Installation: ESU SELECT, Soundtraxx ECONAMI or TCS WOW Steam Sound Decoder with generic factory steam sounds.
Premium Sound Installation ESU V4.0 sound decoder programmed with the DCC Solutions Custom Sound Project with sounds from 3265.
Premium Sound Installation and Light Modification: ESU V4.0 sound decoder programmed with the DCC Solutions Custom Sound Project with sounds from 3265 and replace the rear white markers with dual red/white LEDs for operating rear red and white marker lights. Optional lens replacement for the front headlight to clear.
SOUND and OUTPUT FUNCTION LABELS
Premium Sound Installation
0 (HEADLIGHT) Generator with Headlight/Rear Markers
1 Short Blast Whistle
2 (WHISTLE) Playable Whistle
3 Coupling (Reverse) /Uncoupling (Forward)
4 Cylinder Steam Release
5 Coasting On Demand
6 Guard's Whistle
7 Shunting Mode/Reduces Speed 50%
8 Cold Boiler Start Up Sound On/Off/Mute
9 Reserved (Light Mod)
10 Rear Red Markers [Optional]
11 Rear White Markers [Optional]
12 Reserved (Light Mod)
14 Hot Boiler Start Up Sound On/Off/Mute
17 Coal Shovelling
18 Wheel Flange Squeal
19 NSWGR Guard's Whistle 2
20 Volume Control (+/-) Double Key Press
21 Volume Fader - Reduces Sound 50%
22 Dimmed Headlight Reversing + Generator
23 Tender Water Fill
24 Sanding Valve
25 Safety Valves
26 Headlight On/Off (No Generator for Silent Running)
27 Ash Pan Empty
28 Disable Brake Sound
Note: The above functions are for the LokSound V4.0 Decoder programmed with DCC Solutions Custom Sound Project. The functions and sounds will be different for other Sound Decoders. To learn how to use these functions see the Info & Help page. All functions can be reprogrammed to suit your own personal requirements.