Auscision 421 Class DCC Sound Installation
with Lighting Modifications
Auscision 421 Class DCC Sound Installation
with Lighting Modifications
Now available with NEW Remastered Sound Project including "Full Throttle - Drive Hold" feature.
About the 421 Class
The 421 class are a class of mainline diesel locomotives built by Clyde Engineering, Granville for the New South Wales Government Railways in 1965-1966. The 421 Class with the classic bulldog nose at one end, and featured a flat-cab at the other end.
The 421 class initially entered service on 22nd December 1965 when the NSWGR took delivery of 42101, the first unit of an order for ten locomotives, running on the Main South line before being transferred to Bathurst in 1970 to operate services on the Main Western line between Lithgow and Broken Hill including the new Indian Pacific service. However due to their poor ride quality, they were returned to the Main South. In 1982, locomotives 42102, 42103, 42104, 42106 and 42109 were seen being used on services in Victoria on a regular basis.They were later banned in Victoria by May 1983.
Some 21 years after begin their service, all 10 were withdrawn from service in December 1986 and January 1987 and put in storage at Junee Locomotive Depot, even though some had only recently been overhauled. In 1990 most of them were offered for sale. Four locomotives were purchased by Northern Rivers Railroad and continued to operate then in March 2002, all were included in the sale to Interail to QR National who regularly operated them as far south as Melbourne. Three were withdrawn and placed in store in January 2013 with one remaining in service.
By the end of 2014, only 1 is in service (42103), 2 are preserved (42101,42102), 4 are stored (42105/06/07/09) and 3 have been scrapped (42104/08/10)
In August 2015, Auscision released the 421 Class locomotive which includes a 21 Pin socket for easily fitting a DCC decoder plus a speaker enclosure that suits a 20x40mm speaker. There are micro switches under the model for turning lights on/off in DC. In DCC all lights operate directional. Here at DCC Solutions we offer a light modification for the 421 Class to separate the headlights, white markers and red marker lights for a more prototypical operation . Each pair of front and rear marker lights can be controlled individually so when the locomotive is standing in a siding or shunting it can have both front and rear red markers on at the same time as per NSWGR practice.Also you can have no rear markers on when pulling a load or simply just have the front white markers switched on. The front and rear headlights operate directionally and have a Low Beam/High Beam function.
You can also still operate all the lights directional as the way the model was delivered.
For a Standard Light Modification we can separate the lights as follows:
4) Front White Markers - on/off with 1 function
5) Front Red Markers - on/off with 1 function
6) Rear White Markers - on/off with 1 function
7) Rear Red Markers - on/off with 1 function
Our Custom Sound Project now includes these new features:
Full Throttle – Drive Hold
This feature allows you to simulate a loaded or empty train by pressing the F1 function button. When the button is pressed, the motor will remain at a constant speed, while the sound can be controlled independently by adjusting the speed on the throttle. This exciting, new feature gives the operator the ability to have the train crawl in notch 8 or coast at 100 km/h. Release the Drive Hold function button and you simply go back to throttle-controlled speed and motion.
Coasting on Demand
Pressing F5 will activate coasting on demand to suit your running environment allowing variable speed coasting so changes in speed will not turn it off until you turn it off.
Press the Brake Function button and your locomotive will come to a stop at a much shorter distance than if you were to bring it to a stop by reducing the throttle speed. Release the brake and your locomotive will move off again or choose to have it remain stationary when the brake is released.Move Off and Stopping Sounds
- EMD 16-567C Roots Blower Prime Mover.
- Automatic Hot or Cold Engine Start.
- 421 Class Short Blast and Playable Horn.
- Brake Release Sounds when the locomotive moves off.
- Random Stopping Sounds including Brake Squeal.
- When the loco stops after braking the compressor cuts in to fill the reservoir and will turn off when the tanks are full.
- Speed sensitive Wheel Squeal and Rail Noise when the loco moves off.
- Full Throttle Drive Hold - Lock the loco speed and control the sound independently to simulate a heavy loaded or empty train
- Proper Working Dynamic Brakes: When engaged the prime mover winds down to idle as the Dynamic Brake Fan runs and the engine brakes faster due to Dynamic Brake motor logic of the ESU decoder. Disengage and the prime mover will shift back to its prior notch and continues along.
- Coasting On Demand
- Working Brake to bring your locomotive to a stop
- Coupling and Release with brake line release
- Stop & Drive Random Sounds including fans, compressor, rail noise, track wheel squeal, air releases
- Manual Ratchet Handbrake
- Modified Lighting Option for more prototypical light operation.
- Low beam to High beam Headlight operation
- And more (See below for full list)
- Motor settings and sound volumes tuned to specifically suit the Auscision 421 Class Locomotive Model.
- Individual master sound volumes can be adjusted by the user to suit personal requirements.
- Full function button remapping to suit your personal requirements.
- This Sound Project is also suitable for other brands of 421 Class Models.
Standard DCC Installation: Non sound decoder with no lighting modifications.
Standard DCC Installation and Light Modification: Non sound decoder with light modification upgrade.
Premium Sound Installation: ESU V4.0 sound decoder with our custom EMD 16-567C sound project. No lighting modifications.
Premium Sound Installation and Light Modification: Upgraded the ESU 21 Pin Decoder to 6 Function lighting outputs with the DCC Solutions light modification and our custom EMD 16-567C sound project that allows you individual control of the front/rear white marker lights, front/rear red marker lights, front and rear headlights using the function buttons on your DCC throttle.
SOUND and OUTPUT FUNCTION LABELS
Premium Sound Installation and Light Modification
with ESU Full Throttle Drive Hold Feature
0 (HEADLIGHT) Directional Headlights
1 Full Throttle Drive Hold
2 (HORN) Long 421 Class Horn
3 Short 421 Class Horn
4 Dynamic Brakes
5 Coasting on Demand
7 Shunting Mode/Reduces Speed 50%
8 Prime Mover Cold/Hot Start Up/Shut Down
9 Front White Markers
10 Rear Red Markers
11 Rear White Markers
12 Front Red Markers
13 Directional Markers Lights
14 Coupling (Reverse) /Uncoupling (Forward)
16 Air Compressor
17 Hand Brake Ratchet Set/Release
18 Wheel Flange Squeal
19 NSWGR Guard's Whistle
20 Volume Control (+/-) Double Key Press
21 Volume Fader - Reduces Sound 50%
22 High Beam Headlight
23 Cab Door Open/Close
24 Sanding Valve
25 Spitter Valves
26 Short Air Release
27 Front Headlight On/Off
28 Disable Move Off and Stopping Sounds
ESU LokSound V4.0 Sound Decoder programmed with DCC Solutions Custom 421 Class Sound Project
ESU LokSound Select Sound Decoder programmed with ESU generic sound file
ESU LokPilot V4.0 (Non Sound Decoder)
Alternative brands of Sound and Non Sound Decoders of your choice.
Supply only Decoders and Speakers for DIY Installations